Shahi paneer is one of the famous paneer recipe in India. Its major ingredients are Paneer, Tomato, Cream and Indian spices.
Ingredients – Interesting facts
- Paneer is also known as Cottage cheese. But unlike other common cheese, it does not melt.
- It can be made by curdling the milk with the help of lemon or vinegar and then draining the liquid.
- Its texture ranges from soft and spongy to slightly firm and depends on for how long paneer is pressed after draining the liquid.
- It is highly perishable product because of high moisture content.
- It is an excellent source of protein. For vegetarians, it is a good alternative of meat products.
- Cumin is believed to be originated from Egypt.
- It is a drought-tolerant crop and grows in tropical regions.
- Although it is called Cumin Seed, it is basically fruit of the cumin plant.
- It is commonly known as Jeera in India.
- Around 70% of the world’s cumin production is done in India.
- Cardamom is also one of the world’s oldest spices – cultivated for more than 4000 years.
- Cardamom is a universally popular spice.
- Ancient people believed cardamom had supernatural powers and that it could drive out evil spirits.
- According to Chinese tradition, drinking cardamom tea is the secret to long life.
- There are two widely known form of Cardamom. They are the Black Cardamom and the Green Cardamom.
- Ginger is a rhizome (an underground stem) and not a root.
- India is the largest producer of Ginger.
- In India, use of ginger in medicine goes back to ancient times.
- Its generic name is “Zingiber”. It is derived from the Greek word “zingiberis”, which comes from the Sanskrit name of the spice, “singabera”.
- The intense smell and pungent taste of garlic comes from the large quantity of sulphur in it.
- It has a great importance in Ayurveda.
- Garlic is one of the oldest food flavorings used in ancient times.
- Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated crops.
- National Garlic Day is celebrated on April 19th in USA.
- The oldest know onion harvest dates back to around 5,000 BC, over 7,000 years ago!
- The sulfuric compounds in onions cause is to cry when we chop them. Chilling it before cutting reduced this effect.
- It was used by Athletes and soldiers in ancient civilizations as a source of power.
- These are some of the oldest vegetables that were used by the first modern civilizations.
- It is the state vegetable of New Jersey.
- Its juice is state beverage of Ohio.
- Tomato seedlings have been grown in space.
- The world’s largest tomato tree was grown in the experimental greenhouse at Walt Disney World Resort.
- Tomatoes aren’t always red. They can be yellow, pink, purple, black and even white.
- La Tomatina is an annual festival in Spain, where people throw tomatoes at each other.
- Chillies are natural pain killers.
- National Chili Day is celebrated in U.S. on 4th Thursday in February.
- Birds are immune to hotness of Chillies.
- Hottest part of Chilli are its interior veins, and not its seeds.
- Salt is the most common ingredient in our kitchen.
- It is present in each and every cell of our body.
- Its Latin name is Sal from which the word “salary” is derived. It is believed that in the ancient times, the roman soldiers were paid in salt.
- It is essential for life, but its excess intake poses health risk.
- Kids’ sugar cravings are rooted in biology. Sugar is the only taste that humans are born craving.
- It is used as a food preservative as well.
- Natural source of sugar are sugarcane, fruits, honey, dates etc.
- Initially, sugar was so rare and expensive only royalty could afford it—and in very small quantities at that.
Restaurant Style Shahi Paneer
- Put a pan on gas stove.
- Add 1 tbsp butter.
- Once butter melts, add the below mentioned ingredients:
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Clove – 4 nos
- Green cardamom – 4 pods
- Black cardamom – 1 pod
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 8-10 cloves
- Saute for 10-20 sec on low flame.
- Now add the below mentioned ingredients:
- Onion – 2 nos
- Tomato – 4 nos
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Cashew nut – 12-15 nos
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 1½ cup
- Cook for 15-20 mins on low flame with lid covered.
- Allow it to cool.
- Blend and sieve it.
- Masala is now ready.
- Put a pan on tawa.
- Add Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Once heated, add the below mentioned ingredients:
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp
- Saute on low flame for 10-15 sec.
- Now add 250 gm paneer cubes.
- Saute for 1-2 min on low flame.
- Now add the prepared mixture.
- Mix gently.
- Add Water – ½ cup and Salt – ½ tsp (as per taste).
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Now add Sugar – 1 tsp and Cream/malai – ¼ cup.
- Mix well and further Cook for 5 minutes.
Shahi Paneer is ready