Shikanji Masala || Nimbu Shikanji || Shikanji Masala Powder
Shikanji is the Indian cooling and lemon based refreshing drink in the summer season. It is a traditional drink which cheer up instantly. This easy beverage can be made in just 5 minutes. The Shikanji Masala can be stored for long and be used for making the refreshing drink instantaneously.
Ingredients – Interesting facts
- Lemons are a fruit produced by a lemon tree.
- The name ‘Lemon’ has been derived from the Asian word which means ‘sour fruit’.
- The sour taste of Lemon is because of its citric acid content.
- Lemon juice can be used to make beverages, like cocktails, lemonade and soft drinks.
- In early times, lemons used to be so rare that wealthy people used to present lemons to each other.
- Lemon trees produce lemons throughout the year.
- Because of high level of acidity, Lemon is also used for cleaning stains around the house.
- Lemon Festival is celebrated in France in the month of February.
- Cumin is believed to be originated from Egypt.
- It is a drought-tolerant crop and grows in tropical regions.
- Although it is called Cumin Seed, it is basically fruit of the cumin plant.
- It is commonly known as Jeera in India.
- Around 70% of the world’s cumin production is done in India.
- Black Pepper comes from the dried fruit peppercorn.
- Black Pepper is mainly produced in India, Vietnam, Brazil and Indonesia.
- Black Peppercorns are green when harvested, and change color while drying.
- Pepper loses its flavor and aroma through evaporation. For the best flavor, it may be right before consumption.
- As it was so expensive, it was mostly eaten by the wealthy in the past.
- Black salt or kala namak is not really black in colour. In its crystal form, it looks purple.
- It is also known as “Himalayan black salt”.
- Historically, it is made from the salt rocks, mined in Himalayas region.
- Salt is the most common ingredient in our kitchen.
- It is present in each and every cell of our body.
- Its Latin name is Sal from which the word “salary” is derived. It is believed that in the ancient times, the roman soldiers were paid in salt.
- It is essential for life, but its excess intake poses health risk.
- Ginger is a rhizome (an underground stem) and not a root.
- India is the largest producer of Ginger.
- In India, use of ginger in medicine goes back to ancient times.
- Its generic name is “Zingiber”. It is derived from the Greek word “zingiberis”, which comes from the Sanskrit name of the spice, “singabera”.
- Kids’ sugar cravings are rooted in biology. Sugar is the only taste that humans are born craving.
- It is used as a food preservative as well.
- Natural source of sugar are sugarcane, fruits, honey, dates etc.
- Initially, sugar was so rare and expensive only royalty could afford it—and in very small quantities at that.
- Cardamom is also one of the world’s oldest spices – cultivated for more than 4000 years.
- Cardamom is a universally popular spice.
- Ancient people believed cardamom had supernatural powers and that it could drive out evil spirits.
- According to Chinese tradition, drinking cardamom tea is the secret to long life.
- There are two widely known form of Cardamom. They are the Black Cardamom and the Green Cardamom.
Shikanji Masala Preparation
- Roast 2 tbsp Cumin seeds on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Cool it completely.
- Mix the below mentioned ingredients:
- Cooled roasted Cumin seeds
- Unroasted cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 1½ tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 2 pods
- Black Salt – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Grind i.
- Shikanji Masaala is ready.
Store for months in air tight container.
- Take a glass.
- Add ice cubes, 1 tsp Shikanji masala, 1 tsp Powdered Sugar , 1 tbsp Lemon juice and chilled water (1 glass).
- Mix it well.
Masala Nimbu Shikanji is ready.